...these lanes are always open...

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Adventures in Advertising

Advertising is not brain surgery. Although, millions (or billions) of dollars may be lost by a wrong move, it's pretty unlikely that anyone dies. That being said, there is often a lot of stress flying about in a media agency.

There are a lot of perks, working in advertising, you get a lot of small free things (or tchotchke) like t-shirts, pens, note books, mostly covered in company logos. Then there are sponsored lunches, dinners, breakfasts, sporting events, theater, concerts and, of course cocktails.

But occationally, you get to do something truly special and original. For instance, on Thursday me and the team I work with were taken out for a night on the town, including a trip to the Puma Store to create a custom pair of Pumas (my design pictured to the right).

And then there is then there was massive amounts of alcohol consumptions, which is almost always part of an evening out with ad people. We had a really good time watching NCAA basketball, talking, smoking, doing shots, and we all paid the price for it the next day. But that's just the way it goes, just one of the perks.

On Friday evening, last minute, I got invited for my first ever mani/pedi (Easter egg purple pictured to the left). It was exactly what I needed after the hangover I indured all day and yet another perk to the stress-filled 13 hours days we occationally have to indure to get something done that doesn't really make any bit of difference in the world.

I'd say it's a pretty fair trade off, now that I have spa trips and lunches lined up for my birthday week...but ask me during one of those 70-hour work weeks.

No comments: