...these lanes are always open...

Friday, April 29, 2005

Mix Tape Stories

My friend Kate, she has a website, which I think is a truely unique and interesting idea. Anyone can go and add a song title and a story or poem about what that song means to them or where they were we they first heard it or whatever. I have to say that I helped her come up with (if it wasn't completely my idea) the name vikingmeat.org and I couldn't be happier with Mix Tape Stories being hosted there.

When I went it looked like it was completely wacked out, but I will big her and see if she can't find some time to make it work again. So, try back soon. But here is my newest entry:

Caring is Creepy
by The Shins

I lost a boy...a friend -- who I never got a chance to become friends with because we worked together too long. And for a strange reason this song makes me think of him...

I know that what has happened between us "is way beyond [his] remote concern of being condescending". There's no reason for me to think of him and I'll try to just "Hold [my] glass up, hold it in. Never betray the way [I]'ve always known it is."

He sees the world as noise. As an inconvience for him. He couldn't understand
"All these squawking birds won't quit.

There's reason to forgiving their job to do...
"Building nothing, laying bricks."

Just maybe...
"One day [he]'ll be wondering how
[he] got so old just wondering how
[he] never got cold wearing nothing in the snow."

"I think [you'll] go home and mull this over
Before [you] cram it down [your] throat.
At long last it's crashed, its colossal mass
Has broken up into bits [your] heart."

I think I just might wonder why caring got so creepy and brought the stalker out in me.

"It's a luscious mix of words and tricks
That let us bet when you know we should fold
On rocks I dreamt of where we'd stepped
And the whole mess of roads we're now on."

At the end of that mess of roads, I'll find the answer. Has it been long enough to try again? And why do I want to? If caring is creepy, not caring is just plain terrifying.

No comments: