...these lanes are always open...

Monday, April 18, 2005

...Quarter of a Century...

Ben jenkins is my best friend. He has been for about 10 years. Today is his birthday. He is a quarter of a century old. He is in New York, with his "boyfriend". I don't know if Teejay is still his boyfriend, but obviously they are still very close and see each other on special occations. I feel silly, like in High School when Ben wouldn't return my calls and he wasn't online or checking his e-mail and I thought he was dead. But it turns out he is just in New York, having a helluvatime.

The way he was talking about growing old a couple of weeks ago, I thought he was head-under-the-covers sobbing about being old. That isn't really Ben's style, but he can disappear. He is better at disappearing than anyone I know, I wish I could disappear like him. I thought he needed me to cheer him up, but he doesn't. That's okay. I don't need him all the time either, just knowing he is there is enough to get me through most rough times.

I am getting drunk for Ben. I am glad he isn't unhappy on his birthday. I am looking forward to knowing Ben when he IS old (not 25, but 75) and still loving each other and being young at heart together in our golden years.

I love you, Ben. Happy Birthday!!!

No comments: