...these lanes are always open...

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Greyhound Memoirs #20

GREEN OREGON
5/19/01 2:16pm PST

About an hour to go and a hundred pages left in Slaughterhouse Five.

Oregon is so green, sunny, rocky and windy. Everything is going to be okay. After I shower and go to the dentist and chiropractor, that is. My teeth ache like I was socked in the face. I wonder what’s wrong. I’ve been drinking a lot of soda, but that isn’t unusual for me. It’s the front teeth especially. Maybe it has something to do with my tongue piercing. Maybe something about sleeping under a blanket of feel of sexual assault making me clinch and grind away at my teeth combined with the rattling of the uneven highway and jerky stopping.

It will take me two years to see a dentist. And after a series of consecutive visits, I will get fillings in almost all of my teeth and have 2 of my 4 wisdom teeth removed.

Huge green pines, mountains, and trickling water. The trees and water are things that have always been close to home. This flatlander will have to get used to the mountains. That shouldn’t prove to be very difficult.

No comments: