...these lanes are always open...

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Greyhound Memoirs #6

GARY, INDIANA
5/17/01 1:15pm EST

“Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana…”

Stretched hard and had a smoke in Gary, because hell what goes better with the lovely smell of steel factories and oil refineries than a nicotine fix?

The Australian woman, who’s been the only one with me this whole time (since Ann Arbor at 7am, yes this is still the same day I started my trip), said she thought someone famous was born in the land of Blast Furnaces of Northern Indiana, but I couldn’t understand who she was talking about through her thick accent. Thinking back, she was probably talking about Michael Jackson, but I was too exhausted to think of that then.

I used the bathroom onboard, for the first time, right before Gary. There is no sink. I hope tomorrow there’s a sink, because I am going to smell offensive. Turns out, I never even checked the bathrooms on any other bus. I figured if I smelled bad enough, maybe I wouldn’t get my own two seats to sleep in.

Ah, that Gary funk. Rivaled only by Detroit, that smell on a hot day after a light rain. I miss the D already.

Next stop: Chicago.

No comments: