...these lanes are always open...

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Greyhound Memoirs #8

WINDY CITY BLUES
5/17/01 2:40pm CST

Back on the bus. I packed too much stuff. I got rid of ninety percent of my shit and it’s still too much to carry and watch by myself. I’m never riding a bus again and I’ll think twice before traveling alone.

This whole bus system is crazy and unorganized. I hope I’m on the right bus. It is very hard to tell. I hope we leave Chicago’s lovely bus station soon. I was trying to perfect my big city, cold, blank look. No such luck, I’m obviously a naïve Midwesterner with too much stuff and no strength or coordination. Perfect target for pick-pockets and crooks. Everyone’s got their scam. A man asked me twice in the same hour if he could draw my face. “Such a pretty face, you don’t like it, you don’t buy it.” At least I know better than that, I’m not that gullible.

No comments: